Discourse Recourse

Musings on traveling the world and speaking different languages.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Wisconsin Believes English is getting a Raw Deal

When I saw this gem come across the wire (Wisconsin votes to make English the official language) I knew there would be something in it to make my blood boil. Sure enough, a few paragraphs down, I read:

"[The state] must take steps to ensure that these immigrants are on the road to learning English and not being misled by the crutch of perpetual government multilingualism." -Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc.

Are you serious? Now I don't like to stereotype, but my spidey-sense says that perhaps Mauro Mujica's family doesn't trace a line directly back to the Mayflower. What is it about us Americans that causes us to try and dominate the world with our language? Having spent some time in Madison, Wisconsin this past summer, I can tell you that it is a pleasant place to be. Did I have any problem getting around due to lack of signage in English? Did I get confused when I asked for directions in English? Uh, no. The point is, the mandate of an official language has always been a political tool, and has even been used around the world to squelch dissent and encourage ethnic and racial conformity. There is no real purpose or value to declaring English the official language in Wisconsin, except to reassert dominance of the already hegemonic powers that be. I hate to break it to you Mauro, but "perpetual government multilingualism' is really the least of my problems come tax-time.

The last little bit of the press release (in case you mistook it for a real news item as I did at first!) speaks for itself, and its irony knows no bounds:

"U.S. English, Inc. is the nation's oldest and largest non-partisan citizens' action group dedicated to preserving the unifying role of the English language in the United States. Founded in 1983 by the late Sen. S.I. Hayakawa..."

Here's to multilingualism, and all its supposed evils!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home